Skip to main content

The Last Call

On a cold December day at Thimphu, I wrapped myself in the thickest of my cloth and sitting near the heater sipped a nice cup of tea prepared by my wife. I was lost in thoughts which I don’t remember now. Suddenly I was startled out of my reverie when I heard my wife call out for me from the porch.
“Rinchey, this flower was blooming yesterday but today, it’s gone,” she said wistfully.
“Learn from it. This is what we call Impermanence,” I replied feeling so saintly.
I am sure I saw a pool of tears welling up in her eyes, for the flower had been her long time favourite and to her the loss was horrendous. She sulked despite all my efforts to cheer her up and finally I suggested, “Why don’t we go to my grandpa’s place? I received news saying that he isn’t very well.”
She consented.
We drove to Kabesa, Thimphu, where my grandpa had been putting up for the last ten years. The journey was a tedious one as the feeder road was potholed in many places. They greeted us ‘hole-heartedly’ at various intervals. Somehow we managed to reach our destination unvanquished by the army of potholes. I knocked at the door and we were greeted by my grandma. Traces of tears could be seen on her old wrinkled cheeks. She gave us a big grin but I was her grandson; I could clearly see the pain hidden behind her smile. I entered the room.
“Who’s it?” asked my grandpa in an unfamiliar croaking voice.
I hardly recognized my own grandpa’s voice, the same old voice which narrated stories to me, sang lullabies and laughed with me all along my journey into adulthood. With pained resignation, I called out to my grandpa and said that it was me. He called me into his room where I saw him cuddled in his bed. I could clearly make out that he wasn’t feeling well but I guess I never, not even in my wildest imagination, thought fate would be so cruel, that life would be so evanescent. I sat beside him and chattered to him as if I have lost my mind. I wanted to make him forget the pain. I talked to him about my school, my job, my family, my parents but he just stared blankly at me. It seemed that his frail wisp of a body was hanging to life by a thin thread. He must have fought hard to hide his pain but it was evident that he was fighting a losing battle. Finally he called my name and collapsed. A chill, chillier than the December wind, ran up my spine. I held him up, I sprinkled water, I shook him up, I did all conceivable way imaginable to ‘wake’ him up but the heat gradually left his body and I had to swallow the bitter truth that my grandpa is no more. The Last Call had taught me the bitter truth about the impermanence of life.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Story of Threngchenma Part 3

As narrated by Khenpo Nima Shar Translated by Rinchen Phuntsho Part III Meanwhile, Phagkaypo and his evil friend Rinchoey, had been very consistent with their plans of taking revenge on the people of Sercha for their disrespect and insult. In vicious anger, they planned to eradicate the whole race of people in Sercha. One day, they led a large army and advanced towards Sercha. The Buddha learnt about it through his clairvoyance and realised how grave a sin they were going to commit. Moreover, the people of Sercha were also robust people and skilled in the art of warfare. Hence, the unprovoked aggression on the people of Sercha by Phagkaypo only meant equal threat to himself and his people. In anyways, many precious lives were at stake and many people were on the threshold of committing heinous sins. Therefore, in order to avert the tragedy, but unknown to Phagkaypo’s force, the Buddha went ahead towards Sercha and choosing an old dried tree, sat beneath it. Though there were many

Thuenpa Puen Zhi: The Four Harmonious Friends

The Four Harmonious Friends, Thuenpa Puen Zhi, is a popular symbol in the Buddhist iconography. One can find paintings of them in the form of murals decorating the walls of temples and monasteries. While some believe that it will bring them peace in the household, others believe that it ensures unity and harmony in the family. It is also a popular subject for thangka paintings. Many are familiar with the story of how the four friends tried to determine who amongst them was the eldest. The story of their respect, cooperation, unity and interdependence is a popular part of the Bhutanese folklore. However, many are not familiar with the subtle significance that the story holds. It is believed that the four friends were Buddha Shakyamuni (Bird), Shariputra or Sheri bu (Rabbit), Maugyalyana or Mon-Gelgi-bu (Monkey) and Kuengao or Ananda (Elephant) in one of their previous lives. Therefore, the enlightenment of Buddha, institution of Buddhism and the turning of the wheel of Dharma in harm

PRAY for NEPAL

T he mighty ‘Mother Nature’ has unfolded its rage on the innocent unsuspecting people of Nepal. What remains now of this beautiful landscape is a massive mound of soil, a colossal mountain of debris and thousands of walking shadows. Even as I write this paragraph, I can see a soiled-child rummaging for his favourite toy amidst the mount of debris, his heart-broken mother calling for him beyond madness and a father hoping to find the familiar faces of his family amongst the unfamiliar faces through the clouds of dust. If it hurts us even just to imagine, lay your hands on these affected people. You might barely hear their heart beats. For many, these tremors took away everything they had; even the reason to breathe. One can only see the horror but not the pain Nepalese people are going through. What if we were one of them? The excruciating pain would have been enough to drive us insane. All beautiful monuments have faded into time. All visual splendour has bee